My Character Design Progress (Agnes von Blanchefleur)

 


(The summer following their engagement, 1877)

Happy White Day 2021!

Some of you contacted me saying you were interested in hearing more from these two, so here we are! I created this piece for a backstory of an original character of mine, Agnes. Her character design is something I brainstormed in 2020 along with a few others. In the story I meant to write, she was supposed to be the "strict mother" type of support for the protagonist's growth. The story of the protagonist would start at an orphanage full of supernatural children- cliché, trust me I know, but these children would all have their own problems to deal with rather than just being unnecessarily powerful. Nevertheless Agnes' part was very small, but I fell in love with the image I created of her in my head so I decided to shower her with love and angst through a backstory. So far I haven't made much progress at writing her story down, but I made a timeline I follow whenever I feel the need to draw her.
 


(first sketch of the potential protagonist & Agnes, the vampire Countess)

After sketching some more, I decided not to use the protagonist I made at the start, but rather give them their own story- I will get to that later.
In my first sketch I already decided Agnes was to be a vampire, I just didn't know how to go about it. Later I decided she wouldn't turn into a vampire but rather be of a family of vampires, granted eternal life & for undecided reasons immunity to the sunlight?


(second sketch of Agnes the vampire Countess)

In this poorly made character sheet I did for Agnes, I wrote that she had a wife who was the Count. Now if you know your history, I'm sure you know the Count's title was meant for the head of the house, a man. That's what led me to writing more about the Count's backstory which would naturally affect Agnes' story. The Count has yet to be given a name & I have avoided drawing her face since I'm not sure how to go about it. Without further ado, here's a profile I wrote for the Count:



Count von Blanchefleur:

Born 18th of April 1853, died 3rd of November 1890
Agnes von Blanchefleur's wife during 1878-1890

Born in 1853 to a count family, the only child. Her mother left the family when she was only 6 years old. She lived with her father until his sudden death in 1872 which resulted in her succeeding the title of the count. (explained in a few)

She fought against the nobles' opinions and was a great contributor in speeding up the progress of women gaining power, the start of this was done by her father who during his last years convinced the Emperor to give his daughter the right to become the family head without the need of marriage. (If there are no men in the family left, the oldest daughter were to be married before succeeding the title along with her husband). The Emperor couldn't give the title Countess a pardon, since that would make women equal to their husbands, however he agreed on letting a woman succeed the title of a count.

She met Agnes at a ball on autumn in 1876 and they got engaged the next spring. //This part I have yet to change, I've been thinking of replacing the ball with a festival, where the Count would've ran off to rest a bit from her duties.

During the 12 years they spent together, Agnes saw the Count not being able to live her dreams and thought her being a vampire was holding the Count back and bringing even more inconvenience to their already miserable lifestyle. The amount of time they had together was decreasing & both were having a hard time finding balance. The Count caught Agnes trying to leave during night and Agnes tried to act as cold as possible to make the breakup easier. What Agnes didn't know was that the Blanchefleur had been cursed for generations with a disease similar to hanahaki, the Count started then coughing up flowers, the indicator was her thinking her love was onesided.

Her achievements couldn't go unnoticed so they left the County in the now widowed Countess' care, which led to her living years in silence and grief. 

The Countess now dedicates her time to raising orphans, fulfilling the wish of her late wife, the Count.
 


Phew that took a while to write, I'm sorry for the grammar errors, I'm sure there's a lot of silly ones, but I wanted to write the main things down. If you read it this far, thank you! <3 I assure you, I will write more of them in the future- I will also write about the present time, the protagonist's story, at a later date. I hope you are as excited as I am!